Thursday, December 14, 2006

FIELD TRIP!



This past Friday, December 8, I had the privilege of going with Coral Ne and 25 of our best 6th and 7th grade students to Carol Morgan School, the most prominent private school in the country. The field trip was paid for and organized by the National Junior Honor Society there, which consisted of 2 teachers and 7 or 8 eighth grade students. Their desire was to organize and direct game activities for under-priveleged children.

The afternoon was very fun, and included a get-to-know-you period in groups, and a variety of water games, including relay races, water-balloon tosses, and water/dish-soap twister. Both the Carol Morgan and Colegio Tía Tatiana students enjoyed one another and had a lot of FUN!

The activities took place in a large grassy field the size of about 2 soccer fields. Our kids from Colegio Tía Tatiana loved running around in the open space, barefoot on the grass, and getting into water fights. I have very fond memories of playing and running in the grass, and having water fights of all kinds when I was a kid. Knowing that the children of Herrera do not often see grass, let alone play in it, I realize how privileged I am to have been able to play games barefoot in the grass, dump water on my siblings every day in the summer, and roll down hills until I was sick. 

Each child was also given a slice of pizza and soda at the end of the afternoon. Many of the children quickly wrapped up their pizza so they could bring it to share with their siblings. To their surprise, they were given 2 or 3 slices more, and were able to eat their fill and still bring some home for their families. What a wake up call to how selfish I am, I would have eaten all of my pizza and then gone home and bragged to my siblings about how good it was! This was a really fun event for all of us, and a great reminder not to take for granted the little blessings that God gives us each day.

2 comments:

JDL said...

It is great all the work that God is blessing you and Eric with over there in DR. What a blessing to be part of His kingdom expansion!

Kate said...

Casey my love! This is great! :) I have a blog too you know...although I rarely am online right now.

I love you and hope to see you soon... like on May 19th :)