Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day!


Here are a few pics for you all of the volleyball girls on Valentine’s Day. Thanks to some donations (thanks Mrs. Roberts and Steph!), I was able to make a Valentine’s Day cake and some Kool-Aid for the girls, and they brought Cheetohs, crackers, cheese and some kind of ham to share. We tried to have a Bible Study about God’s love for us, but the girls were pretty distracted by the food set before them…..so we thanked God for the food and PIGGED OUT! :)

Vball class has been such an awesome time to hang out with the girls. Thanks to God, some real bonds have been formed, just spending time together having fun with some volleyballs. Like most teenage girls, they are fun and VERY loud, and they are just about as silly as can be. But, I see God planting and sprouting seeds beyond the fun. A few weeks back, we had a very short talk in the beginning of practice about salvation. We talked about being saved through faith, and not by works.
“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,"[a] that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” -Romans 10:8-10

I explained that we are not saved through works, but through faith in God’s Son, Jesus. I prayed a short prayer, and then I told the girls that if in that prayer they had confessed that Jesus is Lord, and had believed in their hearts that God raised him from the dead, that they were saved for eternity and had new life in Him! I told them, if you have new life in Jesus today, today is your spiritual birthday! Then, as we all stood up to run our warm-up laps, Lissandra, grade 7, asked, what is the date today? It was January 24, (I think), and she started repeating the date to herself as she ran her first lap. Since that day, she has been paying extra attention to our times of Bible Study before practice, and I can see in her eyes that she is experiencing God through our study times of His Word.

Praise God for what he has done, and please pray for Lissandra, that she would grow in an intimate relationship with the creator of this world. (*Lissandra is in this last photo, back left, light pink shirt).

In His grace,
Casey Scheberl

2 comments:

Jackie Perez said...

Casey! So exciting to see how God is working through you guys! Keep up the great work! Hope to see ya soon!
-Jackie

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I know those girls!! I miss the DR so much!!!!!!!
Lotsa love, Casey.
Ciera